Rules for tack and apparel
- No martingales
- No non permitted tack such as bell boots, polo wraps, splint boots, etc.
- No non permitted bits – see USEF bit rules
- No non permitted bridles – USEF bridle rules
- Jump saddles are OK
- Rider must be neat and presentable, light colored pants are preferred.
- Helmets must be worn. There is no exception to this rule.
- Suitable footwear with a heel must be worn for safety reasons.
- Spurs and a whip may also be used. Please see USEF regulations on these measurements.
For any issues or questions regarding tack and apparel, please contact us.
Rules for filming
- Film from “C”, the judge’s position
- Please step back a few feet from the ring so top of the rider to bottom tip of the horse’s feet are visible at all times
- If necessary, include some zoom when rider is at “A” end of the arena
- If filming on a smartphone, please film in the landscape orientation.
- NOTE: Judge reserves the right to decline any video due to poor quality. Please review your video for clarity and appropriate lighting prior to submission. Whenever possible, it is best to provide video with natural lighting. A request for new video footage will be sent to the registrant’s email address. If you are unsure if your video has a good enough quality, please send us the link before your submission for a free video evaluation.
For any issues or questions regarding filming, please contact us.
Rules for arena
Dimensions for small dressage arenas should be 20X40 meters (or approximately 66 feet x 132 feet).
Dimensions for standard – or long – dressage arenas should be 20X60 meters (or approximately 66 feet x 197 feet).
Arena markers for the outer letters must be visible in the video.
It may be necessary to move the letters or display temporary ones if space or sun dictates it.
Your dressage arena does not need to be formal in order to compete with us. Feel free to mark the perimeter with poles on the ground, ropes, or anything else you may have. Letters can be marked on cones, drawn on paper and taped to buckets, or even painted on milk jugs!
For any issues or questions regarding arenas or size issues, please contact us.
Acceptance: Making an entry for a BDS competition constitutes acceptance of the Rules and Terms & Conditions of Better Dressage Scores.
Copyright laws must be adhered to when submitting any video footage or photographs or printed material. Better Dressage Scores will not be liable for any costs incurred as a result of infringement of copyright laws by any competitor or 3rd party.
Honesty is the best policy. This site relies on the riders to be honest and follow standard schooling show rules. We want everyone to play fair and have fun!
For any issues or questions regarding rules, please contact us.